A day late, not quite the dollar short, this was inspired by the Daily Post Prompt, Is being “normal” — whatever that means to you — a good thing, or a bad thing? Neither?
“Normal is a myth.” Those were the first words one my professors said in a class I took at university. Which professor and which class, I don’t recall just yet, but it stuck with me.
Think back to your school days, be it degree-focused or earlier. What is it about ‘fitting in’ or ‘rebelling’ that seems to push the mindset of a particular age group? Is it conformity for conformity’s sake? Is it about rules – rigid, illogical, or otherwise?
Look at the sitcoms, the dramas, the various shows that offer characters that may/may not reflect us. Same for the movies and music.
There’s a quote/joke about normalcy: “Scientists say 1 out of 4 people is crazy. Check three friends. If they’re all right, it’s you.” Really? True, a lot can be said by the company you keep, but sometimes, the best ideas, the craziest ideas come from abnormal interpretations.
Then again, being ‘normal’ can’t be that bad, can it? Maybe safe, sane, somewhat dull. Have a label given to you? Congrats – you’re ‘normal’ by someone’s sorting system, whatever that may be. Does the label fit, or do you care?
Normal’s a myth, there’s lots of uniqueness out there! (smile)
- You are the Chosen One | Start My Quest
- What Is Normal? | Fish Of Gold
- Same Me – Same Normal Daily Prompt: The Normal | New Lease–Same Hope
- Normality Snormality | Fish Of Gold
- reading backwards | The paradox of a zedonk
- Daily Prompt: The Normal | Left to Write
- Without Fail | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- The Normal: | Khana’s Web
- The Normal: Mr. & Mrs. Normal | Khana’s Web
- Effortless, The Pictures They Paint | Here’s My Heart & Here’s My Mouth
- Daily Prompt: The Normal | The corner of my imagination
- Daily Prompt: The Normal | The Tarot Alchemist
- Daily Prompt: Normal/Staying in Focus | Staying in Focus
- The formality of reality is never normality… | EW Brown
- Departure From The Norm | Daily Prompt: The Normal | Words From The Desk Of An Insomniac
- We Have Normality! | Sincerely, Ms. Roberts
- One Million Billionth Of A Millisecond On A Sunday Morning | a former clarity
- Daily Prompt – The Normal | bambangpriantono
- The Three Types of Normal | Right The Writer
- The duckling number 2 | Vivir, que no es poco
- Daily Prompt: The Normal | The Daily Post. | LADYBOY PROMPT
- It’s Normal | mycookinglifebypatty
- Normal Chaos | FadingSunlight
- My American Dream | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Just Normal, Usual Day | Life in a Nutshell